Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Smalentines and Smencils

Little Loverboy
{circa Valentine's 2005 :: age 15 months}



I do not want to exploit matters of the heart for my big boy,
but my Thomas has been hit by cupid's arrow.

His school is selling Smencils for a dollar and Smalentines for $2.
He asked if he could take some of his money to buy some.
Hmmm.

{Last night before bedtime}

Me :: Sure, it's your money.  How much are you taking?
Thomas :: $5, for two Smalentines and one Smencil.
I'm getting you a Smalentine for your birthday mom.
And I'm getting myself a Smalentine and Smencil.

Me :: Oh that's sweet son, but you don't have to do that.
Thomas :: I want to.

Me :: Is there anyone else at school you want to give a Smencil or Smalentine to?
Like if you had to give one to someone in your class, who would it be?
{in my typical fashion of not giving the kid room or space to answer}
Avery? Alexandria? Elizabeth? Madison?

Thomas :: Alyssa
Me :: Oh, the little Chinese girl?
Thomas :: Uh, Mom....she's Japanese.
Me :: Oh, Buddy, my bad. What do you like about her?

Thomas :: She is really nice. She is really smart. She's in my same reading group.
Me :: Oh, those are really good qualities to like in someone.  I think she's really cute too.
Thomas :: {Blushes}

Me :: Well are you wanting to buy Alyssa a Smalentine or Smencil?
Thomas :: {spells out} N.O.


{This morning on our way out the door to school}

Thomas :: {Gets one more dollar out of his wallet.}

Me :: {smiling, choking back tears} {proud of Chief Tender Heart}

All morning long I've been singing "Glory of Love"




And thinking about Thomas and Alyssa



This morning a son's heart is soaring as he gives away a Smencil.
And a mother's heart is breaking.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Mmmmm....smart, sweet, and likes to read, huh? Sounds like those Wood boys have something in common when it comes to picking out sweethearts!

V-n-J said...

aaaaahhh ... that's pretty sweet. Love that he recognizes her good qualities. Smart kid! I hope Alyssa gets him a Smencil:)

Teresa said...

Just one of many...sweet smart little girls through the years!

The Kernea Family said...

LOVE this post. And what great qualities! Our little men are growing up: sniff sniff

Emily Copoer said...

L.O.V.E. this post!!!! Your conversation with im is cracking me up!!!
I still have that picture that you sent of Thomas in 2005. I remember I received it the week before Clay was born...what a cutie!
Enjoyed lunch yesterday so much! Happy Birthday!
Love ya!

Jen said...

This is so precious, yet makes me sad at the same time! They need to stay young as long as possible! Reminds me of my first grade Valentine at BRE!! He now has two kids (one boy our son's age) and we're still friends! :) Hope you had a birthday as wonderful as you! Many blessings & adventures to you this year!

Lindsay Adkins said...

HOW SWEET!!!!!